Saturday 21 December 2013

Wooly sweater from British Herdwick aran

Last year, instead of going on my graduating class holiday, I went to Woolfest with my Gran.  WOOLFEST...ROCK ON!!  It was amazing, a festival of all things yarn and wool, complete with adorable breeds of all kinds of sheep, goats and alpaca to admire.  My Gran bought me 13 balls of Herdwick aran wool from Ruth Strong, who raises her own sheep and spins their wool.  I wanted to knit myself a nice, basic pullover, something that would go with everything and could be worn with jeans and a t-shirt in the winter for an easy, stylish and warm outfit.



The yarn itself was easy to knit and is definitely super warm.  It's pretty scratchy but that doesn't bother me, though if you had delicate skin it might be an issue.  I wore it every day for about 10 days after I blocked it, until I really had to take it off and wash it before it walked into the sink by itself!  That's how you know a project is a success, when you can't bear to part with it while it's washed.



The keen-eyed Instagram followers amongst you will probably have seen the pictures of this sweater in progress, here and here.  It was a quick knit, though I struggled with the instructions for the neckline, I could not for the life of me get the right number of stitches so after the third time of trying, I just ripped it out and went my own way.  I'm happy with how it's turned out slightly V neck, it makes it more obvious which is the front and back when I put it on!


004

Not sure why this one is smaller than the others, thanks for randomly resizing my stuff Flickr.  Also, what's with the sudden change to this iframe malarkey?  Not cool.

I went for my favourite length of sleeves - three quarters.  I don't know why I like it so much, for a warm snuggly jumper having long sleeves would be more practical but I think the 3/4 length suits me better. 



The pattern is Brick by Clare Lee and you can see my Ravelry notes over here (not much more to read than here really, I'm not one for all the technical details, sorry!  Feel free to follow me on Ravelry though if you like to see pretty pictures of knitted stuff!).



Overall, 100% success!  Now onto my next jumper project, an Owls by Kate Davies jumper for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment